- Emergency Preparedness Week May 6-10
- Professional Learning Day May 17 (schools are closed to students)
- Victoria Day May 20 (all schools are closed)
Check the school calendar on our website for a detailed list of events.
THANK YOU! Driver Appreciation Day is May 6
Join us on May 6 as we recognize and thank our school bus operators for keeping the safety of our students their first priority. We encourage you, and your children, to take a moment to say thanks to our bus operators—who go above and beyond to provide safe and timely transportation to our students.
On behalf of Mills Haven Elementary School THANK YOU to all of our school bus operators for a job well done.
Little Elk Island Adventure: Registration
Elk Island Public Schools is once again running Little Elk Island Adventure, a fun and informative program for first-time school bus riders.
Annually, Student Transportation offers the Little Elk Island Adventure to new riders and their parents. The program’s aim is to help ease any anxieties a family may have about riding the bus before even starting school. Through a series of activities, riders learn about: school bus safety, danger zones, tips on boarding and how to sit properly on the bus. After that, both the children and parents hop on the bus to practice what they’ve learned and then venture out on a short ride.
The Little Elk Island Adventure is for first-time school bus riders entering the 2019-20 school year. Sessions and times are available at these locations:
Location Date Time
A.L. Horton Elementary August 20 6 p.m.
EIPS Central Services August 20 6 p.m.
EIPS Central Services August 21 6 p.m.
EIPS Central Services August 22 2 p.m.
EIPS Central Services August 22 6 p.m.
EIPS Central Services August 26 9 a.m.
EIPS Central Services August 26 6 p.m.
EIPS Central Services August 28 6 p.m.
SouthPointe School August 27 2:30 p.m.
SouthPointe School August 27 6 p.m.
A.L. Horton Elementary is located at 5037 48 Ave, Vegreville
EIPS Central Services is located at 683 Wye Rd., Sherwood Park
SouthPointe School is located at 11 SouthPointe Blvd., Fort Saskatchewan
Space is limited and pre-registration is required.
More information regarding busing for kindergarten students is available at: www.eips.ca/transportation/kindergarten-busing-faq
2018-19 EIPS Parent Survey Results Report
The results are now available for the 2018-19 EIPS Parent Survey conducted in March. Thank you to all families who took the time to share their feedback with the Division. The survey included 21 questions related to the three priorities outlined in the EIPS 2018-22 Four-Year Education Plan:
- Priority 1: Promote growth and success for all students
- Priority 2: Enhance high quality learning and working environments
- Priority 3: Enhance public education through effective engagement, partnerships and communication
The overall Division results represent 3,713 responses from parents and guardians across the Division. This was an increase in responses from 2,918 in the previous year.
The feedback gathered will help our school and the Division measure its progress toward meeting the priorities and goals outlined in the EIPS 2018-22 Four-Year Education Plan and develop strategies to better serve students and the wider community moving forward.
Complete Parent Survey results for the Division are available by visiting www.eips.ca/about-us/planning-and-results/parent-survey.
- Mills Haven Elementary’s Parent Survey results are available by visitinghttp://www.millshaven.ca/download/173345
Education Week takes place April 29 to May 3. Throughout the week, students and staff from Mills Haven are showcasing and celebrating the role education plays in shaping the future of our province. Led by the Alberta Teachers' Association and Alberta Education, the annual event is celebrated by school communities province wide with activities focused around the importance of education.
Today, more than ever, Mills Haven, our teachers and schools throughout Elk Island Public Schools, are focused on providing students with optimal learning opportunities. As a result, students are honing a broad range of learning experiences that go beyond the core subjects of math, language arts, science and social studies. They’re becoming lifelong learners and developing valuable skills such as ingenuity, creativity, critical thinking and citizenship. Education Week celebrates this learning journey. To mark the week, Mills Haven has a number of activities planned—all aimed at demonstrating the outstanding learning taking place in our school. Some of these include:
- Students reflected on their learning journey and created a picture or story about a highlight they have.
- Creating a bulletin board showcasing the student work.
- Staff have contributed to a Flipgrid sharing what they are currently working on and learning about in their lives. Check it out here: https://flipgrid.com/yhh4zcs
Happy Education Week!
First Nations Metis Inuit Education at Mills Haven
- Daily announcements about the Seven Teachings
- Monthly lessons provided to teachers to help teach the Seven Teachings
- Monthly assemblies about the Seven Teachings
- All classes except for kindergarten (due to the different scheduling of kindergarten) have met with Elder Wilson at least once to learn about either the Seven Teachings or Jordan’s Principle
- All classes participated in Orange Shirt Day
- Most classes participated in our Seven Teachings food drive which raised over 1200 lbs of food
- Some classes did Have a Heart Day/learned about Jordan’s Principle
- Eight classes will be participating in the Honoring Memories, Planting Dreams garden in May in memory of residential school survivors and Shannon Koostachin’s dream that all kids deserve a safe and comfy school
- All grade six students learned about the history and legacy of residential schools using the Secret Path and ATA history and legacy of residential schools workshop
- All grade five students participated in a blanket exercise
- Staff has received regular PD at staff meetings
- Some staff attended Sarah Choo’s PD on a self-directed PD day
- Our school was featured in the CASS video
- Choo’s class will be attending the book launch for Cindy Blackstock’s new book due to our participation in Have a Heart Day
- We will be celebrating National Indigenous People’s Day in June
- Classes have had access on a monthly basis to the edu-kits that provide resources and hands on activities to learn about First Nations, Metis and Inuit ways of knowing
Dear parents and guardians,
Mills Haven School Council is seeking 2 individuals to fill the positions of Treasurer of the School Council and Treasurer of Mills Haven Student and School Enhancement Society (fundraising society).
For the last 7 years I have been an active member of school council and for the last 4 of those years I held both Treasurer positions. I am grateful for the opportunities and experience that volunteering in my children’s school has given me.
Treasurer is a vital position and without the positions being filled we will be unable to support the school with events such as movie nights, services such as hot lunch and the milk program, support for classrooms, and support for equipment for our school such as technology (smart boards, computers, etc.), classroom and library books, and cultural performances above and beyond the small amounts funded by Alberta Education.
Those interested in filling one of the treasurer positions should be a parent or guardian of a student who attends Mills Haven. Duties of the treasurer include:
- Perform financial transactions (deposits, write cheques)
- Maintain accurate records of all financial transactions
- Ensure financial records are available if requested by the school board or school community
- Prepare and present a treasurer report at school council/fundraising society meetings
Although one person can fill both positions it would lighten the load if we could have different individuals filling the 2 positions. Both positions must be filled for events, services, and support to continue next year.
If you are interested in filling this role or require more information please feel free to contact myself at Treasurer.MillsHaven@gmail.com.
Treasurer Mills Haven School Council
Treasurer Mills Haven Student and School Enhancement Society