Posted on February 22nd, 2019
Dear Mills Haven Elementary families,
Over the course of the last few weeks, a number of concerns and issues were raised around the recent motion passed by the Board of Trustees to discontinue the German Bilingual Program at Mills Haven Elementary.
The feedback provided was heard and considered. As a result, EIPS senior administrators went back to the Board with a plan to address some of those concerns around the German Bilingual Program and the proposed German Language and Culture Program. Following those discussions, the Board has directed the Division to take the following course of action, effective for the 2019-20 school year:
- The German Bilingual Program will gradually phase out. Students entering grades 2 through 6 in the 2019-20 school year will be grandfathered into the German Bilingual Program—meaning these students can remain in the German Bilingual Program until they move on to junior high.
- Starting in September 2019, students entering kindergarten or Grade 1 have the opportunity to take the new German Language and Culture Program, if they wish. Should parents choose to select another language program after that point—for example, French Immersion —that option is also available. They can also choose to remain at Mills Haven Elementary and continue in the German Language and Culture Program.
- Those students grandfathered into the German Bilingual Program will receive the level of instruction that meets the standards set by Alberta Education for an official bilingual program. As such, those same students will be eligible for free transportation until they leave Grade 6.
- Students selecting the German Language and Culture Program option will receive 30 minutes per day of instruction in German, taking place during their regularly scheduled language arts course. Because this is a school option rather than a Division program, students who live outside of the Mills Haven Elementary attendance boundary are subject to transportation fees.
- If families have already registered their child at another school within the Division but now wish to return to Mills Haven Elementary, administration will work with them to amend their registrations over the course of the next month.
Further details will be shared at a parent meeting next week:
Date: Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019
Time: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Location: Mills Haven Elementary, gymnasium
73 Main Blvd., Sherwood Park
Free childcare provided
We look forward to the opportunity to meet with you.
Elk Island Public Schools